If you’re not going to a hire a professional … at least do it right
A website is your most powerful business tool
After 16 years of building websites, we are still mystified when we see websites built by business owners. They have either used a free service or have hired their kids to build a site. A website is the same as opening your doors to your business.
Tip # 1: If none of the information below makes sense, then maybe you shouldn’t be building your own website.
Once developed, properly, a website will:
- help sell, support and promote your business, product or service every minute of every day
- become one of your best employees / assistants
There are a lot of website services out there that offer the ability to build your own site for free.
Tip # 2: You know what they say about Free stuff … you get what you pay for.
Its understandable that you might be looking to save money where you can when starting a business. If your business absolutely requires a website to be successful, then why are you doing it yourself if you have never built one before?
- Make sure you at least have your own domain name / URL (www.yourname.ca)
- Running a business website off of someone else’s domain with your name added to the end is pointless
- Example: www.wix.com/yourcompanyname
- Write your own website content and use your own pictures or stock photos
- Google Images is not a stock photo website
- Borrowing images off of other websites is theft and is so, so bad
- Keep the site navigation easy to use
- Site users do not want to have to click 3, 4 or 5 times to just find the information they want
- Google actually boosts your website in their listings if you have user friendly navigation
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly (automatically resizes to fit on smartphones and tablets)
- Again, Google will boost your site if it is mobile freindly (a.k.a. responsive)
- Over 51% of U.S. users are searching on mobile, compared to 42% on desktop computers
- Think like your customer (or think how you like to search and use the internet)
- Users won’t wait for slow loading sites
- Be specific as to what you are selling or offering
- Google wants at least 300 words per page and at least one image to help them properly index the pages on your site